Back in January, I decided that 2017 was going to include a lot more reading, and the daily bedtime story to our sweet babes did not count. I was going to start reading more for me…for my own growth and interests…which had previously gotten lost in the busyness of life. So, as my family was packing last week for a trip to visit my husband’s parents in Texas, I took a friend’s recommendation and bought a copy of The Magnolia Story. It seemed fitting since we would be taking a trip to The Silos to visit Magnolia Market while on vacation. There is something about Chip and Joanna Gaines that seems to have captured the hearts of so many people, and I was excited to read more about their story.
Well, I am happy to report that it was $20 spent that I did not regret! It was an easy read (exactly what I wanted for vacation) yet was inspiring on so many levels. I thought I would share a few of the things from their story that stood out to me the most, and if they speak to your heart as well, I would definitely suggest grabbing a copy of the book and reading it for yourself!
- Sometimes our story looks nothing like how we imagined it to be…and this can be the most wonderful blessing if we are able to let go of our “ideals” and embrace the adventure. I am pretty sure every day married to Chip Gaines would be an adventure! I mean…did you see him eat that cockroach off the floor. Oh.My.Word.
- We have to be intentional to make time to dream, plan, and listen. Pray, journal, hike, run, yoga – find your quiet space to be inspired and make a commitment to show up. Some of Joanna’s biggest decisions came after she spent some time alone writing in her journal.
- The magic happens outside of our comfort zones. Their story is filled with taking chances and the opportunities came because they did.
- Everything worthwhile takes a lot of work – marriage, business, relationships, children.
- Life becomes more joyful when we choose to be present over perfect. One of Joanna’s biggest ah-ha moments came when she let go of the idea that her home needed to be magazine worthy. She decided she was going to make it a space that allowed them to enjoy the present moments together without the unattainable level of aesthetic perfection. What mom can’t relate to that?!
- When challenges come, our attitude drives the outcome. The examples of this are countless in the book. So inspiring!
- God is with us every step of the way and does not miss even the smallest detail. He is in the big things and the little things…don’t miss Him!
- Marriage can be such a beautiful gift if you constantly strive to love, honor, and believe the best in each other. Respect your spouse for who they are and acknowledge all the ways they bring out the best in you. This is one of the things that inspires me the most about them!
Their story is so real and relatable. The success of Chip and Joanna Gaines has not come without chapters of heartache, disappointments, setbacks, and challenges but they took the time to learn and grow from each one. Who can’t relate to that?! Joanna summarizes it so well when she wrote, “Don’t quit, and don’t give up. The reward is just around the corner. And in times of doubt or times of joy, listen for that still, small voice. Know that God has been there from the beginning – and he will be there until….the end.”
Have I mentioned how much I love to read?!